1.20.2009

When I was 5...

we lived at 1855 N Drew Cr. It was a small house, in a cul-de-sac, right across the street from the elementary school. We had two small palm trees in the front yard that we would play house under. Gigantic clovers (weeds, as I later found out) grew in our backyard - so big that we played hide and seek and would bury ourselves in them. We moved to this house right after I turned one and lived there until right before I turned 7 (I think).
I remember my dad wrapping me up in his favorite blue blanket and carrying me around the school. He would sing to me. "I Am A Child Of God". Over and over and over. Sometimes he would add "Teach Me To Walk". When we got back to the house, it was JaNae's turn - then Raymond's - then Spencer's. I'm not sure if they have the same memory.
It seems the only way I can get Jayson to settle down at night is to bundle him up in a blanket and take him for a walk around the block in the cool air. I sing to him. I hope no one can hear. I'm not a good singer. Good enough for him, though.
It is becoming one of my favorite times of the day/night. I think of my Dad as I walk and think of how he must have loved those moments when he was walking us. Sometimes, after Sunday dinner, when one of the babies are fussy, he'll wrap them up and take them for a walk. I wonder if he sings to them.
And I wonder if his back ever hurt like mine hurts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy what you have!! You won't always have a sore back from holding babies...it will be gone too soon. "Enjoy the journey"!

Joy said...

This is the baby you are leaving me with? It's a good thing I REALLY like babies right now! BTW who is anonymous, it's very mysterious.

Nicole said...

What a sweet, sweet post!!
AND the last one!!! I almost cried! Although, it didn't really help me decide to go for #6.....that first part.....big t-shirts & unshaved legs, etc., etc.....I can so relate & I don't even have a baby!
Hang in there!!!

wendy said...

i remember your dad taking walks and coming over to our house and visiting and chat, usually w/one of you guys. Nice story.
Wendy (williams)