7.23.2008

Tough Decisions


I'm in such turmoil I can't even stand it. My mind says one thing, my heart says another...and then there's all the peer pressure :)
Dylin was tested last week for early entrance to Kindergarten. She passed. In fact, the lady that reviewed the tests said she did great (buttering me up, maybe)?? I decided to put her in afternoon kindergarten, which is only offered at Higley Elem/Midd School, not at our neighborhood school. She'll do 1/2 day this year at HEMS and all day next year at Gateway. I feel that because she doesn't turn 5 until October, she will benefit from being one of the older children in the coming years. I talked to a sister of mine, and also a brother, who were both pushed forward into school. They were the youngest in their classes. Last to drive. Last to date. Unable to go to Scout and Girls Camp with the other kids in their grade because they didn't turn the "age" until the end of September. I believe that being a little bit on the older side gives you and advantage - academically, physically, emotionally.
Now the hard part. Her BFF will be going to all day Kindergarten as well as so many of the other kids her age. Will Dylin have a hard time going to a different school than these friends? I know I need to look to the future. And most likely, the kids that are her age that live near us, will all move away - or maybe we'll move someday. I didn't go to Jr High or HS with the friends I had in Kindergarten...and we still were able to remain friends through Jr and High School.
Ok - so maybe I'm not in turmoil. Maybe I'm just sad that Dylin will be going to a new school without familiar faces. She will know 2 of the kids and maybe that will be enough. She's an outgoing girl and will be able to make new friends. She IS excited to be home with me in the mornings to be my HELPER when Baby Jayson (the name at the moment) gets here.
I love love love my Dylin....my little "best buddy". (quick story - last night, she came downstairs and wanted apple juice in a sippy cup. I told her to ask Dad. She said, "Dad has too much things on his lap." I said, "ask Bryton." She said, "I just want my best buddy to do it for me". I got out of bed.)
MAN! I love this girl!

4 comments:

sherry said...

Cute new blog! O.K- you know my opinion about pushing kids forward and all the advantages that go with being older as opposed to younger. We talked about it yesterday. And you will love love love having her home to help with the baby! I did this exact thing with Kindyl,(child # 2) and it worked out fabulous. She has always had great teachers that have been willing to work with her being a little advanced for her grade.(one of them would even put her in charge of special projects designed for her, have her help tutor the other kids, and even give her special lessons.) ANd I loved having her home half day. She was such a sweet little helper. SHe will still be able to play with the neighborhood kids, because they live by you and go to church with you. And it is only for 9 months! She will make new friends and love it. You will probably be more upset about it than she is.

annie said...

oh, dylin!!! we miss her!!!

Kim Skinner said...

hey michelle. i get to hear about you on your blog and from janae so even though i haven't seen you in ages, i know you're doing allright. we do need to do lunch again. you'll have that new baby boy soon...last time i saw you, your baby girl was a new baby girl. kimberley_skinner@yahoo.com. tell carrie i want an invite to hers too. :)

Jenn and Rich said...

I'm with your friend sherry. I think dylin will do great at HEMS. It's fun to make new friends. I think it's good for them to be around other people outside of the ward. Since they see those friends all the time. It helps them make new friends. Besides she can think she's special by going to a different school than the other kids. At least that's what Paige thought when she went to HEMS last year.